Chelsea versus Southampton will be played on Tuesday 25th April at Stamford Bridge in London. The match between the league leaders and number 9 in the table will kick off at 7.45 BST.
Chelsea has to get their act together to not ruin its season with the finish line in sight. Southampton will most likely use this match, forced because of injuries, to allow young players playtime with next season already in mind.
Find below a match preview and predictions of Chelsea vs Southampton, including our best free Premier League betting tips.
Chelsea vs Southampton Match Preview
Chelsea are coming off a spectacular and victorious FA Cup tie with Tottenham Hotspur, but have lost 2 of their last 4 Premier League matches, most recently versus former Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho’s side Manchester United. With 6 matches to go and a lead of 4 points over second placed Tottenham Hotspur you could say the title race is open again. Chelsea does have a rather favorable program, with as only real hard match next week’s away game at Everton. The Spurs on the other hand still have to face both Manchester United and Arsenal, and have a tough away match tomorrow at Crystal Palace.
The previous meeting between the two clubs earlier this season at St. Mary’s stadium went to Chelsea with 0-2. It were the first signs of how unbeatable Chelsea would turn out to be. The last time Southampton visited Stamford Bridge, still under the reigns of Ronald Koeman and Chelsea still with coach José Mourinho, they took home a surprising 1-3 victory.
For the match versus Southampton, Antonio Conte can put up a rather rested and full line up. Hazard and Diego Costa only played 30 minutes over the weekend and the team doesn’t suffer from any major injuries or suspensions apart from Gary Cahill. Although back into training, the prediction is he is not 100% certain for tonight. What a difference it makes to a team to be not involved in European football, apart from Diego Costa’s regular seasonal physical set backs, Chelsea hasn’t had any major season ending injury problems over the course of this year.
Southampton, despite a little bit slipping in the standings over the last months, still is playing an incredible season. Currently sitting 9th position in the table can be considered a major performance from a club with a modest budget that also is forced to sell its best players at the end of every season. Since there is nothing on the line for the Saints, they can just go out there and play without any kind of pressure, apart from not wanting to get embarrassed by Chelsea.
The Saints will be without a few important players due to injuries. Defensive rock Virgil van Dijk is out, just like McCarthy, Targett and Austin. Available for tonight’s game versus Chelsea is defensive midfielder Oriol Romeu, who is coming back form a suspension.
Chelsea vs Southampton Match Details
Teams: Chelsea vs Southampton
Competition: Premier League 2016/2017
Date: Tuesday, 25th April 2017
Kick off time: 19:45 BST / 20:45 CET
Stadium: Stamford Bridge (London)
Chelsea vs Southampton Line-Up Predictions
Chelsea: Courtois; David Luiz, Azpilicueta, Marcos Alonso, Cahill; Fàbregas, Moses, Kanté, Matić; Diego Costa, Hazard.
Southampton: Forster; Yoshida, Bertrand, Cédric Soares, Stephens; Davis, Tadić, Boufal; Oriol Romeu, Ward-Prowse; Gabbiadini.
Chelsea vs Southampton Betting Tips
- Chelsea has lost twice in their last 4 matches, and only 3 of the other 28 Premier League matches this season.
- Chelsea have scored more than once in 29 of their 32 Premier League 2016/2017 matches.
- Chelsea matches have seen both teams to score land in 9 of their last 10 matches in the Premier League 2016/2017.
- Chelsea has not kept a clean sheet in their last 10 Premier League matches.
- Chelsea only won 1 of its last 4 home encounters versus Southampton.
- Southampton has won just 4 of its last 11 matches in all competitions.
- Southampton has won 3 of its last 4 away matches in the the Premier League 2016/2017.
- Southampton has kept a clean sheet 7 times in its last 16 matches this season.
- Southampton won 3-1 the last time both teams locked horns at Stamford Bridge.
- Matches with Southampton involved have seen both teams to score land in 6 of their last 16 matches in all competitions.
- The last 10 times both teams have faced each other, 8 times both teams to score landed.
Chelsea vs Southampton Betting Predictions
After my best betting tip yesterday landed within 15 minutes, let’s see what today’s betting predictions will bring. I don’t think Southampton will score, and also believe that Chelsea will score at least twice. Add to this that five out of Chelsea’s last 6 matches saw 2 or 3 match goals, and also some stats back up my prediction.
Chelsea vs Southampton Betting Odds
Chelsea to win is 4/9 at Bet365.
Goals Over/Under Prediction
Over 2,5 match goals 4/5 at Bet365.
Both Teams to Score
Both Teams to Score: yes is 1/1 at Bet365.
Number of Goals in Match
Total of 2 or 3 Match Goals: yes is 1/1 with Bet365.
Long Shot Betting Tip
Hazard to score anytime is 11/8 with Bet365.
What time does Chelsea vs Southampton kick-off?
N’Golo Kante is probably the personification of Chelsea’s current success, and certainly is one of the best holding midfield players around. He was rewarded the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award for his stellar season.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) April 24, 2017
Southampton manager Claude Puel quoted on the importance of Oriol Romeu: “I think he’s not far off [N’Golo] Kante. He recovers the ball so well and is a technical player.
“He’s an important player for this team because he can do fantastic work to recover the ball and start the play. It’s difficult for us without him.
“We will see for the future, we are confident in him and, for me, he can look to getting in the selection with Spain, for example.”
Already voted best player in the Premier League in 2014/2015, Belgian star Eden Hazard is back at his best. Watch here some of Eden Hazard’s best action and goals this season:
- Ajax v Manchester United: Betting Tips & Predictions – UEFA Europa League Final - May 23, 2017
- Ajax coach Peter Bosz gets tips from current Man Utd employee Louis van Gaal – Europa League Final Predictions - May 22, 2017
- Ajax v Manchester United Goalscorer Betting Tips: Justin Kluivert following into dad’s footsteps? - May 20, 2017